Thursday, August 25, 2011

You Know You're Old When...

...10:00 P.M. rolls around and all you can think about is sleeping.

For the last few years I've been fighting this. However, I've recently realized that I can't fight it anymore. I'm old and 10:00 is my bedtime.

I should start this off by saying that I have always been someone that can thrive on a small amount of sleep. Sure I'd love to get more, but I don't need it. That being said, I used to be a night owl. In my teens and early twenties, I would consistently get a burst of energy around 11:00 P.M. and thrive on the nightlife. Whether it was dancing, studying, movie-watching, cooking, partying, I could be energetic doing it.

Then my late twenties rolled around and suddenly it was all "If I am staying out past midnight, I need to be drinking things with diet coke in them." It was literally like once 27.5 hit me, my night owl days (ha...oxymoron) were done for. I was officially a loser.

Now that I'm 30, I'm owning it. At 10:00 P.M. I am effing tired and I want to go to bed. Since society tells me that I'm totally old and lame, I'm just going to do it and not feel shame. Luckily I really lived it up in my early to mid-twenties.

To all those of you under 27, listen to your elders. Enjoy those moments in between 10:00 P.M. and 5:00 A.M. when you can be awake and lively...they don't last forever. One day you will wake up and realize that you can no longer enjoy ice cream because a moment on the lips means a lifetime on your fupa and that the most exciting thing you can do on a Friday night is get buzzed on 3 glasses of wine and fall asleep watching Problem Child 2 on your netflix instant queue while your dog humps his face on your couch. Sound pathetic, well, welcome to your thirties.

No comments: