Friday, March 9, 2012

Beauty and the Beast - Live On Stage

One of the problems with Disney's Hollywood Studios is how difficult it is to plan your day. There's quite a few stage shows that only play at certain times, so you have to catch them when you can. Sometimes it means you are running from one end of the park to the other and back again. Also, the park is not laid out as clearly as the other parks and it's easy to get lost. In fact, before my last trip to Disney, I was researching food places in Hollywood Studios and heard about this restaurant that I had never in my many trips to the parks even seen. So, the other bad thing about Hollywood Studios is that you tend to miss a lot.

Anyhow, the Beauty and the Beast stage show is not my favorite. It's not terrible, but it's basically just a shortened version of the Disney movie and there's nothing that makes me say "We need to see that." So, we usually miss it because the times don't match up in our day.

If you've seen the movie, you know the basic plot of what happens. Beautiful girl is trapped by hideous beast, but learns to love him and breaks the spell! The costumes are very pretty and they keep a good sense of magic about the story. Plus they have all the traditional songs and some good dancing.

I'm not sure why I'm not very into this one. I think the best way to schedule it is to grab a "show schedule" when you first arrive at Hollywood Studios and prioritize your. You need to see "Lights, Motors, Action" and they typically only do that one a few times a day. I think that Indiana Jones is also good (although if you have younger kids, they might be more interested in Beauty and the Beast), so plan on going to that one. Then there is the new American Idol Experience that is also so-so. There's also a parade that is fun for younger kids and Fantasmic (which they don't do every night) which is an awesome fireworks show. It's actually a seated show and while it's a huge amphitheater, to get the best seats, you have to arrive early. My point in all of this is that Hollywood Studios is a park where you really do have to plan your day out and it's best to do that at the beginning of the day so you know when all of the shows are playing.

This show is just mediocre, but if you have young kids who love the movie, they will definitely love the stage show. 2/5 or 4/10 stars.

I don't know why, but Lumiere always cracks me up. This topiary is so dorky.

No comments: