Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How Do You Shop?

Since getting a career job, I have had a hard time shopping. I can never figure out what I really need v. how much money I should spend v. what is going to help my self-esteem. The constant chatter in my head regarding what I was purchasing was enough to make me put everything down and run like hell the other way. Maybe it's the being an adult thing because I never really remember my mom buying that much stuff for herself when I was growing up. Now if you put her in a Talbots store she'll do a bizarre happy dance while singing "Free at Last, I'm Free at Last!"

Anyhow, shopping is a serious problem. I used to get so much joy out of going to the mall and now it is a real downer. I just don't know how to focus on what I need while still getting things that I like and are fun and frivolous!

How do other people do it? I know a girl who used to have the most fabulous clothes, all Prada, Givenchy, Dolce & Gabbana and other high end labels. She told me that she gave herself a twice yearly budget and would just buy a few really expensive pieces and that she mostly wore the same thing but in different combinations. Which seems awesome because she always looked so polished, but I just don't think that I could work under those constraints.

I would take any suggestions. I need a new black skirt for work and the thought of talking myself into buying one is overwhelming to me.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Please pass on any of the suggestions you get because I have been going through a similar crisis of shopping these days. I guess my main issue right now is work clothes and figuring out stuff that is professional and not totally frumptastic. Ideally I want to get stuff for work, but also stuff that I actually enjoy wearing -- since we spent a crap load of time at work.

Molly said...

As a fellow government employee I will tell you that you want to get some warm stuff for winter because due to budget issues, they basically don't heat government buildings anymore.

Grace said...

I'm actually usually really hot at work. Sadly I think it's because everyone is kind of crammed onto the floor. I'm serious I think the body heat alone just heats the building.