Friday, April 17, 2009

Everything Is Illuminated

My 9th book took me awhile to get through, which is odd because I loved it and usually that means I can whip right through a book. But this one sort of lingered and I was entrapped in this Ukranian Road Trip for the better part of half a month. Did I mention that I loved this book, like loved it, loved it.

As I have mentioned before, I like character-driven books. By this I mean, I want to hear someone's voice, see what they dress like, what they like to eat, what they hate, what annoys them...basically I want to feel like they are my best friend by the end of the book. Seriously, Jonathan Safran Foer, where have you been all of my life? He's just so, so, so funny and clever and poignant and his book just weeps these amazing stories. I had my reservations about the book because I saw the movie a couple of years ago and thought: Meh. That's exactly what I thought, I just didn't understand what the big deal was. But, now I know and I couldn't be more happy about it.

So, here's the deal, do NOT watch the movie before the book and if you have, then go out and read the book. It's so much better. This is one of those stories that doesn't translate well to the screen because so much of what makes it brilliant is in the writing.

And if you aren't convinced now to read it, perhaps this will change your mind. There's a dog, who's not quite with it, named Sammy Davis Junior, Junior. Sammy Davis Junior, Junior is the seeing eye bitch for an old man who thinks he's blind, but spends a majority of the novel driving a car. You should be laughing now and if you aren't, then there's no cure for your horrid sense of humor.

5/5 or 9/10 stars.

No comments: