Monday, October 8, 2012

Enchanted Tiki Room

When I was a kid and was planning my first trip to Walt Disney World, my mom got this book called Birnbaum's Guide to Walt Disney World.  This guy, Birnbaum, was an expert at Walt Disney World and the book had all of these helpful tips and tricks on how to navigate the parks.  I loved that book and used to study it religiously.  I truly believe that I missed my calling as a travel book writer and trip planner.

Anyhow, one of Birnbaum's tips that I still use when I go to The Magic Kingdom park is always go to Adventureland first and work your way around to Tomorrowland.  I think the logic here is that people tend to go to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland first (those are directly behind and to the right of Cinderella's castle), so if you go first to Adventureland (which is to the left of the castle) you will miss the crowds.  I'm not sure that this is the truth anymore, but to this day, I have to go to Adventureland first.

One attraction in Adventureland that I often overlook is the Enchanted Tiki Room.  On my last trip there, I realized that I had totally forgotten what happened at this weird little bird show and so my mom and I jumped in line.  I'm really glad that we did because I forgot how funny and cute the Enchanged Tiki Room can be. 

The Tiki Room is really a show where audioanimatronic birds sing to you.  It sounds hokey, and ultimately it is hokey, but it's also pretty cute.  Also, you are at Disneyworld, so don't worry so much about hokiness...it's all a little hokey.  How many more times can I say hokey?  There are birds from France, birds from Spain, birds from the rain forest and the are all gathering to sing rooms that will be stuck in your head all day.  "In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room, in the tiki, tik, tiki, tiki, tiki room..."  That's the only line I remember.

Alright, so you are seated in this round theatre and the show begins.  The one thing that I don't like is that some of the birds voices are more annoying than others and the show is pretty long, so if you are stuck next to a terrible sounding bird it can be unnerving.  Other than that, just sit back and enjoy the show.  Again, this is one of those attractions that is good for a little rest and air-conditioning.  Mind your necks, though, staring up at the birds can give you near paralysis.  Also, if you are going to use this time to take a nap do not snore.  It's just really rude to the birds.

3/5 or 7/10 stars.  It's not the most fun or the most relevant, but it's a Disney classic and has some cute moments.

No comments: