Monday, July 30, 2012

Sense and Sensibility

Jane Austen is boring me.  Is that really terrible?  I mean, is that something that's almost unforgivable?  Because I feel like I should never be forgiven for being bored by Jane Austen.  However, it's the truth and I am nothing if not a truth speaker. 

I thought Sense and Sensibility was boring.  Or, at least, not as good as Pride & Prejudice.  Part of my issue is that I don't totally understand the English society issues of the late 18th century, so sometimes it takes me awhile to figure out what in the hell is going on.  For instance, there are a lot of "offensive" things that happen in the book that really don't seem that offensive.  So, the "offensive" thing happens, but you don't really know it's offensive until 5 pages later Austen tells you that a particular event was, indeed, offensive.  Then you have to go back and re-read about the "offensive" event so that you can figure out why it was offensive.  Tired yet?  

Towards the end, I got really into the story of who would end up with who, but it took a long time to get there.  The characters are endearing and yo do care about them, but not in the way that you care about the Bennett sisters.  

3/5 or 7/10 stars.  I read this book a year ago and must have really liked it when I finished it because in Shelfari, I gave it a 4/5 stars.  After a year's worth of thought, I'm devaluing it.   

BTW, are we all watching the Olympics?  I've become obsessed.

No comments: