Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Things I Don't Understand

I am officially a crazy dog owner.  I embrace it by posting photos of my dog on the blog all the time.  It's just...that face...that face makes me happy.

Here are some things that don't make me happy, work edition.

  • Lunch hour meetings.  I flipping hate when people schedule meetings or trainings over the noon hour.  I work a full day, from 8:00 to noon and 1:00 to 4:30 I am at my boss' leisure.  I have to do what they say when they say.  But that noon hour is MINE.  I like to online shop, read my kindle, make phone calls and sometimes just zone out for that one hour.  I feel like I need that hour.  My work is in the process of going paperless and so have been scheduling several mandatory trainings and meetings over the lunch hour.  Attendance has been low, so now they are enticing people with pizza and cookies.  Which almost makes it worst to me because I don't want to eat pizza and cookies for lunch. 
  • Misuse/No use of Email.  I don't talk a ton about what I do.  The easy answer is that I am an attorney.  One would think that being an attorney means you are working with people who are really professional with their use of communication.  If you think that, you would be wrong.  I have realized that lawyering is a profession many people do well past the normal retirement age.  Many times I have had to contact a fellow attorney only to find out that they don't use email.  WTF.  This is unacceptable.  The real kicker is that these same people often don't use voicemail either.  So, to get in touch with them, you have to call their office and have their secretary write down the message on a cave wall.
  • Fridays.  Seriously, does anyone work on Fridays?  Even if you are at work, are you really working?  On Friday afternoons, my office place looks like the scene of a wild west movie.  Last Friday I swear I saw some tumbleweed rolling down the hallway.  Sometimes I wonder what the point is.  Even if I wanted to do work myself, since no one else is at work I can't achieve much.  Although, it never fails that on Friday at about 4:00 P.M. someone calls with an "emergency." 
  • Co-worker happy hours.  This is kind of an old bag moment for me.  When I was younger, I liked the happy hours.  Now that I'm old, I just want to go home after work.  I'm not trying to be anti-social, but I spend at least 40 hours a week with my coworkers.  I don't need another few hours on a Wednesday night.  I want to see my family, my husband, my dog, my friends.  I want to put on pajama pants and watch my tivo.  Happiest hours I know happen with my pajamas, a couch, a glass of wine and the tivo.  I would be remiss not to mention the fact that my marriage was started by a work happy hour. 
Does this make it sound like I need a vacation?

No comments: