Friday, May 20, 2011

Summer Books

I'm thinking I can read five books this summer. I've sort of got a list going and finding it hard to pick what I should tackle in the warmer months. Here's what I'm thinking so far. Anyone else have suggestions.
In the Garden of Beasts. Truth be told I did not like The Devil in the White City, I reviewed it somewhere on the blog. But I didn't hate it either. I read it thinking it would be one thing and it was very different and I was disappointed by the difference. The story was pretty interesting, though. Although super detail oriented. With all that being said, I'm totally intrigued by this book.


Everything is Illuminated is on my all time favorite list. I have mad love for it. MAD LOVE. I've been wanting to tackle Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for a long ass time, but never gotten around to it. However, now there's a movie being made and my need to read has skyrocketed. This is one of those where I could not watch the movie before reading the book.


Nobel Prize Winner. I actually know nothing about it (which is just how I like to go into reading books...if I know too much, I'm usually disappointed by what the book isn't instead of loving what it is). It's that cover that gets me. I can't ignore a cover like that.


I keep reading about how people have peed their pants reading this book. Today I read an excerpt from a prayer that Tina Fey wrote about raising a daughter. Here it is: "And when she one day turns on me and calls me a bitch in front of Hollister, Give me the strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a cab in front of her friends, For I will not have that shit. I will not have it." And this made me almost pee in my pants. I have to read this. I have to piss my pants at least once this summer.


Then there's this book. The Fear. I love this title. Awhile back I read a book for book club When A Crocodile Eats the Sun, written by Peter Godwin. It was amazeballs. If you haven't read it, put it on your list. Zimbabwe has a complicated political situation. I actually don't know a ton about it, but am hoping this book will help me out. I would read anything by Peter Godwin, he has that beautiful way of writing about tragedy. I can't wait to get my pudgy little baby hands all over this book. I may even have to buy the book so that I can mark it up like a textbook. I only do that with the books I truly love.


***************
Anyone else reading awesome things that should not be ignored this summer?

2 comments:

Angie said...

Molls, I have the Tina Fey book and it is hilarious. I'll lend it to you when we meet up!

Molly said...

I actually bought it on my kindle on Friday and finished it this weekend. It was pretty funny! I've already read two books since Memorial Day, so I definitely think this 5 books this summer thing is possible.