Sunday, June 28, 2009

One Hundred Years of Solitude

Let's just say that when Gabriel Garcia Marquez writes a book about a family over a hundred year period of time, it's going to take you an effing century to read what he's written. That's how I felt about this book. It was beautiful and long and confusing. There were characters with the same name and you could never really tell where you were in the time period of this family. But, that was the point...I think. I think the book was about being in a rut that you just can't get out of and you continue to make the same mistakes and you continue to punish yourself which only leads to making the same mistakes. It's this bizarre loop that you can't get out of.

I loved the characters in this book and I loved reading about the beauty of the setting and time period. But I started to lose steam about halfway through. It was one of those books where I wanted to get to the end, but it seemed like I would NEVER get there. Seriously, there were nights when I would read for an hour or more and felt like I didn't actually read anything. Plus there was so much going on that it seemed like the only way to get anything out of it was to read it a few more times, but the thought of that left me in tears. I loved it and hated it, I was inspired and annoyed, uplifted and frustrated. I felt kind of blah about it.

So...3/5 or 7/10 stars. And I can't put myself through the torture of reading it again anytime soon. Maybe in a few years I'll love it like it's supposed to be loved.

No comments: