Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jay Bird Walk

I know the correct term is jaywalking, but in my head, whenever I think of "jaywalking", I actually think the words "jaybirdwalking". Weird, right.

Whatever the term is, it's illegal. Which is also weird.

What I have noticed, however, is that the probability of seeing someone jaybirdwalking goes up about 80% in Minnesota once the weather gets cold. So, even though jaybirdwalking becomes exponentially more dangerous with high snowbanks and slippery roads, Minnesotans choose the worst of days to throw on their crusty Uggs and forge into the middle of the roads with oncoming traffic approaching from both sides.

Now, I know it's cold. And I know walking outside in the cold is a bitch in the truest sense of the word. But, Minnesotans (particularly those in the vicinity of West Seventh), I implore you to walk the extra 5 steps to the crosswalk and wait patiently for the lights. Don't jump the snowbank and don't start running like a mad fool once you see a tiny break in the traffic. These words will save your life.

No comments: