Thursday, December 24, 2009

Loving Frank


I'm so behind in my book reviewing!! Here's another one, I'll try to remember to add a picture later.

Loving Frank was a book recommendation by my boss. I never would have picked it up had she not said anything, but I'm so glad that she did. This book is so good and so interesting. Has anyone ever heard of this story before. Frank Lloyd Wright had an affair in the early 1900's, the scandal caused his career to fall apart, he went to Europe for awhile, was deep in debt, came back and built this amazing house in Wisconsin and then tragedy and sadness ensues. The ending of this story is probably the worst thing I have ever read AND...it's all a true story. I can't believe that I had never heard it before.

But, let's back up. This book struck a chord with me early on and initially I thought I was going to hate it. Mamah Borthwick, the protagonist and Frank Lloyd Wright's married mistress, leaves her husband and two small children, to go to Europe with Frank Lloyd Wright and be all lovey-dovey with him. It was so selfish and Mamah seemed so cavalier about doing it. I spent the first 100 pages of the book hating her. But, as the book continued and the layers unpeeled, you realize that she is not okay with her decision. She's devastated and heartbroken and trying to find her place in the world. She was caught between duty and obligation to her children and to herself. I definitely did not agree with her decisions, but I also understood them and sympathized with her.

When Mamah and Frank finally come back to the states, they are trying to build a life together. They are shamed by many people and they have difficulties in their relationship. Just when things start to go right, they all go terribly wrong.

As I said, I knew nothing about this story, so what happens at the end is completely shocking. I hate spoiling endings, so I won't do it here. But let's just say that someone meets a tragic end and your heart absolutely breaks.

Loving Frank is an incredible story and is pretty well written. I thought at times the story dragged on a bit and could have been edited down, but that's just me being picky.

4/5 or 8/10 stars!

No comments: