Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Super Sad True Love Story

I bought this book solely because I loved the cover. Some books will do that to me. I knew nothing about it and just dove in head first. This book is scary because I think it's a very real depiction of what America will be like in 50 years (or less).

I know I've talked about this book before on the blog, but let me reiterate a few things. The hero of the story is an ordinary guy living in America. And he reads...classics...which is very unhip in the future. You see, the future in this story has everyone obsessed with an online program that allows you to post everything that you are feeling and tell friends and strangers where you are at that exact moment. The future also has these devices that you wear around your neck allowing you to be linked in at every possible moment and also scanned for how hot you are and what your credit rating is. It's freaky because I can totally see this happening (or in some cases already see it happening).

Anyhow, this ordinary dum-dum falls for a vain, materialistic girl who loves only to spend money. She spends money on things called Onion Skin Jeans, which are translucent pants. Anyhow, the ordinary guy will do anything for this girl even though she treats him like crap. Then she falls for the dum-dum's boss, who is actually this really old dude who is obsessed with youth and basically has some Benjamin Buttons reverse aging shit going on. That guy creeped me out. And the book always mentions that the guy smelled like preservation. Gross.

Then America basically falls apart due to an economic collapse. It's all very freaky and sad and people are dying and the dum-dum realizes that this young girl isn't all she's cracked up to be.

I thought the book was really good. It was both funny and sad and walked that fine line of being satirical without being preachy. However, I didn't love the characters. The shopaholic girl was just a little bit too annoying for me. Even at the end when she redeems herself a little bit, I still thought she was the most obnoxious person I've ever read. So, I could have done without that.

So, 4/5 or 8/10 stars.

No comments: