Friday, January 15, 2010

The Poisonwood Bible


There is a part of me that will always love this book because of where I was when I read it. I read this book in Florida this past October. I love vacation books because even just thinking about them brings you back to vacation and sometimes, mid-week at work, you need that little reminder that stepping away from work is totally possible. Plus, the last time I was in real sun created heat was October 23, when I sat outside waiting for the bus to take me back to the airport and reading this book.

But, beyond all of that nostalgia that the book holds for me, the actual book itself was all kinds of lovely. It's sort of a no-brainer that I liked it being as the story involves Africa and is very character-driven.

Let's talk about that story, shall we? It all revolves around the Price family, a mother, crazy father and 4 daughters. The father is a missionary (and let's just say he put the "ish" in missionary) who brings his family to the Congo to "spread God's word". Except the Congolese don't exactly take to the preaching and especially don't take to the preacher as he basically tells them that their long held beliefs are wrong. He's a douche.

But the story really centers around the girls and their adjustment to living in Africa. How they changed or stayed the same and how they grew apart from one another. It also centers around the turmoil of the country and how despite the danger that the political climate posed to his family, the dbag father wouldn't let them leave. I hated that guy.

There are some amazing scenes in the novel and I'm so glad that Hollywood hasn't yet bastardized those scenes into a movie. For those of you who have read it, did Ruth May break your heart? She broke my heart.
I loved this book and because I loved it, you should read it and love it as well.

4/5 or 8/10 stars.

No comments: