Tuesday, October 16, 2012

That Hit Show That I Hope Y'all Have Heard Of

I got this flyer in the mail for the local Costco World Market.  They were having some kind of store event that I was not in a million years going to go to.  However, the big draw was Maksim Chmerkovskiy!!!!  Oh Lord help me with those abs.  I just thought it was a little strange that they could use Maksim's name, but not use the name of the show that he's made famous for (hint, hint the show is Dancing with the Has-Been Stars).

How do we know that it's really the Maks that will be appearing at the store and not some creepy impersonator?  Or is this one of those things where they pretend that it's the Maks from Dancing with the Has-Beens, but they've changed one letter in the spelling of the name and really it's some Maksim from a hit TV dance show in the Ukraine that no one watches.  How much would you hate getting down to World Market and finding that you'd been duped? 

This is another perfect example of terrible marketing.  If you can't use the name "Dancing with the G-List Stars", then why even bother using the name Maksim?  I guarantee that the name Maksim means almost nothing without saying what the hit TV dance show is.  Yes, Maks is cute and has that bad-boy attitude that makes the ladies wet their drawers, but is he so cute that he can get my ass out to World Market.  Probs not. 

I guess the marketing point that I'm trying to make is that Maksim is not a special guest unless he is coming as Maksim of Dancing with the Has-Been and Never-Will-Be-Again Stars.

No comments: