Friday, June 18, 2010

The Road

Cormac McCarthy has a dark side. He can think up some pretty disturbing images...such as cannibalism. Now, I'm not one to shy away from gore in books, films or media, but cannibalism totally freaks me out. So, that's one thing about this book to beware of because it kind of sneaks up on you and you don't really realize it and then you REALLY realize it and it's too late. The heebeejeebees are upon you.

Put aside all the cannibalism and this is actually a touching story about a father and son in a crazy post-apocalyptic world. It's a little bit hard to grasp. I think this is one of those books that's way better the second or third time around...sort of like Slaughterhouse Five. You need one read-through to get what it's about and then another read-through to really understand the book. I only read it once cause I gots shit to do. But, it's a quick read, so a second read-through shouldn't be a problem.

So, basically a father and son are wandering through America and scavenging as much as they can because they need food and weapons. They're trying to find anyone else who has survived the apocalypse. There's also these people who have survived and are evil, but I couldn't really tell what they were up to (this is something I think a second read-through would have resolved). There's danger around every corner and the father is on his last leg and death is imminent. Lots of grim and not much sunshine.

If kittens, rainbows and lollipops are your thing, then you won't enjoy. I think kittens suck...so I loved it.

4/5 or 8/10 stars.

No comments: