Monday, November 8, 2010

The Girl Who Played With Fire

I feel like there's nothing of value that I can say about these books. This one was about a thousand times better than the first one. And the first one was good. However, there's not a lot of literary content involved and sometimes I think the surprises are far too obvious. The books are very intriguing and even though they are hundreds of pages, you can finish them relatively quickly. So, you feel like you've accomplished a helluva lot.

In TGWPWF, we are back with Lisbeth Salander and she is in the Caribbean...or some tropical place. And she's still lugging around that macbook. I do think Apple should give some money to Stieg Larsson's estate because these books have made me crave macbooks. It seems like you can do so much awesome hacking with them.

Then Lisbet comes back to Sweden (I think a hurricane was involved) and gets an awesome apartment which she can afford becaus she's stolen money. She also gets IKEA furniture. Bad move Salander. I joke, I love IKEA. Anyhow, so she's in this awesome apartment and gets herself into a heap of trouble. I mean, convicted of murders you didn't commit trouble.

Then shit gets unreal. Like seriously unreal. She escapes from multiple hits on her life and then goes on high speed chases and then is killed by her father and half brother and buried. Except she wasn't killed, and even though she's buried alive, she doesn't die. Like I said, shit gets unreal.

Another book full of twists and turns and it was captivating enough to make me want to finish it in a couple of days. So, that's something.

4/5 stars or maybe 8/10 if we're on a ten point scale.

3 comments:

Annie said...

i loved this book. i also loved that you commented on the ikea furniture because it was a highlight for me as well. every time i go to that store, i wonder (sometimes out loud) if every house in sweden looks like the little rooms they set up. stieg has now confirmed this and i am quite happy. so, this was not only a fantastic book, it was educational as well!

Anonymous said...

This one may be better than #2, but I think #3 The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is better still.

Love ya,
Mom

Molly said...

I think you actually can't be a Swede unless your house has only IKEA furniture. I think they revoke your citizenship or something. I will hopefully be reading #3 soon after I return from the Happiest Place On Earth.